There are numerous species of mold, which can make identifying harmful mold and getting rid of it a tricky task. Sometimes mold is easy to spot on the surface, however, it can also be loitering in hidden places you’re unable to see. Harmful mold spores prefer to grow in areas with a lot of moisture and, when unidentified or unattended to, it can have serious, harmful health and safety implications such as respiratory issues (allergies and asthma) and headaches along with other symptoms.
If you spend a lot of time in an area with mold, especially a high concentration of it, some studies have shown it to be connected to a higher risk of bronchitis and respiratory infections from breathing in harmful mold spores. Since certain types of mold can be toxic, it’s imperative to reach out to trained specialists who understand the proper techniques to remove it.
Visual and olfactory signs may include, but are not limited to:
- Different colored mold growth (black, green, white, brown, pink, yellow)
- Fuzzy or slimy texture
- Musty, stale, or mildewy smell
- Allergic reactions involving respiratory system (coughing, sneezing, congestion)
Potential causes of mold and places you might find mold:
- Areas with excessive dampness and humidity (basement, under carpets, moist drywall)
- Pipes/water leaks
It’s crucial to remove mold quickly once it’s been detected, as it can spread quickly and becomes a growing health risk for you and those around you. If you have detected, or suspect, mold in your home or business, please reach out immediately to schedule an inspection and receive a free estimate from your local Los Angeles PureOne Services team.