Mold is a natural fungus when it grows outdoors. It’s part of our ecosystem that helps break down plant and animal matter. But when it grows indoors, it serves no purpose other than to cause structural damage and make people feel sick. Getting rid of all mold inside your home is paramount to restoring it to a healthier environment.

Types of Mold

There are various strains of mold, each with its own characteristics. Some are more impactful to your health than others. None are of any benefit when it grows inside.

Of all mold types, toxic mold is the most dangerous to the health of those living in the home. Several types of mold fall into the toxic category These strains can cause symptoms that range from sneezing to severe respiratory damage. Effects are more serious in younger children and those with compromised immune systems.

StachybotrysBlack, gray, or dark green.Flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, headaches, memory loss and severe respiratory damage
ChaetomiumInitially white cotton-like appearance maturing into grey or olive colorRed, watery eye, trouble breathing, neurological damage, and autoimmune diseases
AspergillusVelvety or cottony texture with shades of yellow, brown or blackAllergic reactions, lung infections, aspergillosis (fever, weakness, general feelings of illness or discomfort)
PenicilliumPowdery or velvety texture; white to yellowish, sometimes red or brown.Asthmatic symptoms, bronchitis and other respiratory problems
FusariumWhitish to yellow, pink, red or purpleRare serious eye infection called fusarium keratitis
AlternariaChain-like structures; black, green or grayAllergies, worsening asthma

How Mold Can Affect Your Health

Toxic mold can make people ill, especially those with weakened immune systems and younger children whose organs are still developing. Keep in mind that direct contact with mold isn’t required to develop symptoms. Mold spores are released that circulate into the air we breathe. They will cling to carpeting, furnishings, and get in your HVAC vents, further permeating the home.

Here are some ailments that can develop or worsen with prolonged exposure to mold.

  1. Mycotoxicosis is an acute and chronic disease contracted usually from the consumption of food or other sources containing mycotoxins, which are produced by certain types of toxic mold. The disease can affect both humans and animals. Common symptoms are chronic fatigue, ADHD, rashes, COPD, and depression. Less common symptoms include dementia, Parkinson’s, and cancer.
  2. Asthma attacks can be triggered by breathing in mold spores. There’s no evidence that the existence of mold actually causes asthma, but it can worsen the symptoms and increase episodes.
  3. Mold allergies can develop in those individuals who are sensitive to it. These allergies can present in several ways:
    • Nasal and sinus irritation, congestion, and infections
    • Coughing and sneezing
    • Sore throat
    • Achiness
    • Fatigue
    • Wheezing
    • Skin rashes and infections
    • Red, watery eyes
    • Hay fever-like symptoms
    • Shortness of breath
    • Headaches
    • Memory issues
    • Mood swings
    • Nosebleeds
    • Pneumonia
    • Bronchitis

People suffering from mold exposure can often be misdiagnosed with disorders such as:

  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Chronic fatigue syndrome
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Lyme disease

How to Tell if Mold Is Making You Sick

Scientific research has not definitively proven the extent that mold has to these health issues. However, it’s reasonable to say that the presence of mold growing inside your home can cause negative health effects. So, how do you know if you’re feeling sick from mold or something else?

There are some tests that doctors can perform, like skin or allergy blood test to see if you are allergic to mold itself. You can also evaluate your symptoms and when they flare up. Are they worse when you’re inside your house? Do they improve if you’re away from it for a few days, then return when you get back? If so, you need to investigate further to see if you have mold in the home.

Start Feeling Better with Professional Mold Remediation

If you suspect you’re ill because of the presence of mold growing in your home, PureOne Services of Central Minnesota can help. We have a proven 3-step process to remove all traces of mold and restore your home to a healthy one.


We’ll thoroughly inspect your home for mold and document our findings. If we find mold present, we’ll prepare an estimate. This step is free of charge.

Treatment and Prevention:

We use industrial-grade anti-microbial treatments and HEPA filters to remove the mold. We prevent regrowth by remediating all areas that contain excess moisture.


If our mold removal process required destruction of walls, ceilings, flooring, etc., we will rebuild the structures.

Don’t risk the health of you and your family by allowing mold to grow untreated in your home.